Whitewater Rafting on the mighty Himalayan river Alaknanda
A self-contained multi-day river adventure down the Himalaya’s Alaknanda river, one of the two headstreams of the mighty Ganges, and hydrologically, its true source. The trip starts from our base on the Ganges river near the pilgrim town of Rishikesh. We launch on the river from the town of Chamoli, to end at Rudraprayag.
We’ll descend 70 km of a classic river run, negotiating over 85 Class 3+/4 rapids. A scenic drive of 165 km (6hrs) hours takes us past the town of Devprayag, Rudraprayag and Nandprayag, situated on holy confluences which later form India’s holiest river, the Ganges. We reach Kaldubagarh, situated above the Alaknanda, on the road to India’s holiest shrines for the Hindus, Badrinath.
Along the way, we pass Rudraprayag, best known for the infamous man-eating leopard shot down by Jim Corbett in 1932 in its forests. One of the most exciting river runs in this part of the Himalayas, we’ll take you through thick forests, deep gorges, cascading whitewater, foaming rapids, sandy beaches and starry nights. All wrapped up to make this a truly memorable outdoor adventure trip.
21 – 26 April 2018
5 – 10 November 2018
25 – 30 December 2018
|ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE LOCATION||Delhi, India|
|INCLUDED||All travel from and to Delhi by road and rail
All arrangements for camping while on the trip
Accommodation on twin share basis in tents, guest houses and hotels
| Professional guide
All rafting, kayaking, and safety equipment
All meals whilst on the river
|NOT INCLUDED||Airport transfers in Delhi
Accommodation and meals in Delhi
Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, etc.
Checklist for Essential Personal Items:
- Warm Sleeping Bag (till 0’C or below at least)
- Thermal underwear for river
- Good sandals for raft, spare flip flops
- Water Bottle
- Flash Light and spare batteries – important
- Sun Shade/Hat with Brim
- Sunglasses and case
- Sunscreen/Sun block with minimum SPF 50
- Vaseline/Lip Salve
- Insect Repellent
- Personal Toiletries – towels/soap etc.
- Rucksack/duffel bag to carry your baggage
- Karimat / Thermarest (optional) ; we will provide you with one
- Small daypack to carry camera, packed lunch, water bottle and wind/rain jacket for jungle walk.
- Shoes for elephant safari, jungle walk, and neutral colored clothing for the National Park visit.
- Long trousers / long shirts / Tshirts etc.
- Good pair of shorts, one quick dry to be worn over wetsuit, if used
- Swim suit for ladies – a bikini top and bottom is great for wearing under the wetsuit
- Alcohol / cigarettes – not available on trip
We provide all rafting and camping gear. Other items of personal nature need to be added by you especially personal medication, if any. Temperatures are going to vary between 25-35 degrees Celsius to 5-10 degrees at night. Long pants and long shirts are handy because of the strong sun and lots of sun tan lotion.
Our expedition trips are designed for energetic and flexible people who have the spirit of adventure and a positive attitude. Previous experience in the outdoors and camping helps, though is not a must. These trips are participatory in nature, and everyone is expected to pitch in, set up and break down their own tent, clean their own dishes and help with loading and unloading the rafts.
Why choose Aquaterra Adventures?
Voted one of the 'Best Adventure Companies on Earth' by National Geographic
Awarded 'Favourite Boutique Tour Operator' by Outlook
ATOAI Hall of Fame Award 2014
Voted 'Best Adventure Resort in India'
This is a multi-day trip with fixed departure dates. Some trips have different itineraries or lengths, so please check that you've chosen exactly what you want, and the correct trip start date. If you have any questions at all, please use the chat feature and we'll answer as quickly as possible.