Whitewater Rafting Along the Kali River
The Kali river forms the border between India and Nepal in its upper reaches. A self-contained river journey is one of the best adventure trips to be done in this part of the Himalaya. The Kali flows past terraced farms of Kumaoni and Nepali villages, freshwater streams, sandy beaches, thick tropical jungles and plantations as we travel downstream through the Terai belt, while negotiating exciting whitewater.
No roads in this region of the Himalaya also make this a complete wilderness journey. The river is filled with the famous Mahseer carp indigenous to Himalayan rivers, which British anglers used to call “Indian salmon” in the days of the Raj. The first few days are spent floating serenely past the confluence with the Saryu at Pancheshwar (also a famous fishing spot) with the occasional big rapid.
Beginning with the mighty Chooka rapid, the Kali makes its final descent to the plains in the last day on the river. Flowing past the Terai hills after densely forested hillsides, this trip is an outdoor wilderness experience in a league of its own.
|TRIP DATES||25 March – 2 April 2018
22 – 30 September 2018
|ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE LOCATION||Delhi, India|
|INCLUDED||All travel from and to Delhi by road and rail
All arrangements for camping while on the trip
Accommodation on twin share basis in tents, guest houses and hotels
| Professional guide
All rafting, kayaking, and safety equipment
All meals whilst on the river
|NOT INCLUDED||Airport transfers in Delhi
Accommodation and meals in Delhi
Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, etc.
Checklist for Essential Personal Items:
- Warm Sleeping Bag (till 0’C or below at least)
- Thermal underwear for river
- Good sandals for raft, spare flip flops
- Water Bottle
- Flash Light and spare batteries – important
- Sun Shade/Hat with Brim
- Sunglasses and case
- Sunscreen/Sun block with minimum SPF 50
- Vaseline/Lip Salve
- Insect Repellent
- Personal Toiletries – towels/soap etc.
- Rucksack/duffel bag to carry your baggage
- Karimat / Thermarest (optional) ; we will provide you with one
- Small daypack to carry camera, packed lunch, water bottle and wind/rain jacket for jungle walk.
- Shoes for elephant safari, jungle walk, and neutral colored clothing for the National Park visit.
- Long trousers / long shirts / Tshirts etc.
- Good pair of shorts, one quick dry to be worn over wetsuit, if used
- Swim suit for ladies – a bikini top and bottom is great for wearing under the wetsuit
- Alcohol / cigarettes – not available on trip
We provide all rafting and camping gear. Other items of personal nature need to be added by you especially personal medication, if any. Temperatures are going to vary between 25-35 degrees Celsius to 5-10 degrees at night. Long pants and long shirts are handy because of the strong sun and lots of sun tan lotion.
Our expedition trips are designed for energetic and flexible people who have the spirit of adventure and a positive attitude. Previous experience in the outdoors and camping helps, though is not a must. These trips are participatory in nature, and everyone is expected to pitch in, set up and break down their own tent, clean their own dishes and help with loading and unloading the rafts.
Why choose Aquaterra Adventures?
Voted one of the 'Best Adventure Companies on Earth' by National Geographic
Awarded 'Favourite Boutique Tour Operator' by Outlook
ATOAI Hall of Fame Award 2014
Voted 'Best Adventure Resort in India'
This is a multi-day trip with fixed departure dates. Some trips have different itineraries or lengths, so please check that you've chosen exactly what you want, and the correct trip start date. If you have any questions at all, please use the chat feature and we'll answer as quickly as possible.